Thursday, December 4, 2008

John Pearce Clinic

I had the opportunity this week to ride with John Pearce. He is a two time World Champion in Show Jumping and member of the 2000 Olympic team. It was a little nerve racking! He was very no nonsense. He didn't really want you to tell him anything he just wanted to tell you. But I guess when you have the status he has you get to be like that!

Tori came out with me the first day and we forgot to video. My horse was very hyper on day one. I think John thought I would ask her to go faster at times and he wasn't really listening to me telling him that she just grabs the bit and runs off with me. I definitely don't encourage speed on this horse, she has plenty! So I was a little frustrated that day and didn't feel like it helped me.

Tori and Megan came with me on day two. We got video and pictures. John still thought at a few points that I was making her gallop, but whatever LOL. Day two was much more educational. My horse tends to slow down and speed up and everything in between on her own. So I was always trying to make her slower all the time. Instead we just made her speed up when she wanted to slow down, which is much easier! That helped even her pace out. I also galloped her around the arena for ten minutes when she tried to take off with me. That helped wear her out. So basically after two hours my horse became quite nice and rideable. This is how much energy she has so I definitely have to keep her worked down. I also realized that I am quite strong, but not strong enough. I need to lift some serious weights and strengthen my back and abs for this horse. I was exhausted the day after the clinic and very sore.

The good news is I will be relaxing in Vegas with JoLyn for the weekend! Maybe not relaxing, but doing some heavy gambling ha ha!

12 comments:

Ang said...

It is so fun to watch you ride, especially from the warmth of my couch! I can only imagine how sore you are. I remember the first time you had me gallup on the lead line, what an idiot I looked like, especially when my butt fell off! I was so freaking sore, you just don't realize the muscles you need to use to stay in the saddle and in control of 1,000 lbs of animal underneath you!

Tilley/Booth said...

You deserve a vacation after all of that work. You are amazing! Can't wait till tomorrow!

Nate said...

FABULOUS!! I have been asking for videos like this and finally I get them. I can't believe how great you and your horse look in them and how awesome the videos turned out.

Is this the John Pearce from Canada that was on the Canadian Olymic team?

We NEED more information on what recomendations and advice he gave you!!

Sheryl said...

Thanks for sharing the videos! Those are awesome. I hope that it was really helpful. The horse is beautiful and you look beautiful on it.

DHS Child Care Center said...

I can't see your videos from work, so I will have to watch them when I get home. It sounds like a really neat opportunity to be able to attend that clinic. Have fun in Vegas!

Ang said...

Remember to take lots and lots of pictures in Vegas so I can live through you and Jolyn!!!! Have fun!

Denise said...

Yes Nathan that is the John Pearce. It was a great opportunity.

Ang...I will take tons of pictures and you can live thru us :)

Denise said...

Yes Nathan that is the John Pearce. It was a great opportunity.

Ang...I will take tons of pictures and you can live thru us :)

Grandmajoann said...

Wow! The videos are great. Do you use a regular camera or a video camera. How fun to share your rides with us. How did this come about? Pretty special one on one time!

Matt-n-Jef said...

Awesome video denise. Makes me wish I would have kept up with the skating thing. Now you girls be careful in Vegas. Too many wierdos out there. Don't go gettin all crazy. By the way, Matt and I had lots of luck at the Excalibur on his birthday last year.. Which by the way, he gambled on the 777 machines. We were there on 07/07/2007 and his birthdate was 07/07/1970. Maybe that was just a one time thing, but I'm just sayin... Love you girls and have fun. We did win enough to pay for the whole entire trip..

Jen said...

Now I have seen the video, and you do look great.

Denise said...

Jef....we did not win squat. HA HA! We lost everything but it was a lot of fun.