Sunday, December 28, 2008

It happened like this...


Tuesday before Christmas I took a little spill. I was on a horse standing still and reaching over to get a riding crop. The horse started to walk off before I was ready and got caught in a hose thawing on the ground. I tried to sit up and pull myself to the center, but it was too late. I just fell splat on my head. I don't believe I was unconscious, but I don't remember a lot that happened before or after that. I knew I was in trouble when Megan and Amy brought horses in I had asked them to ride and I looked at Megan and said, "Why does Amy have that horse out? Who said she could ride her?" Megan also knew I was in trouble and had phoned her parents to come deal with me. I guess I had her phone some of my sisters too.


Megan's parents took me to Lakeview hospital where I guess I had a cat scan that I don't remember. I was puking and my head was about to explode. They determined my brain was bleeding and I had a small fracture above my right eye. They treated me as a trauma patient and sent me to the University Hospital by ambulance. That night I had two more cat scans that I slept thru mostly in a drug induced coma. I spent the night in Intensive Care. I do remember having wonderful nurses. One was named Brad and he checked on my every hour or so. He was so nice to me. He would say, "How are you doing sweetheart?" I think I always replied wanting more pain medicine and he always brought it for me! He also brought me warm blankets and petted my head. I slept thru a lot of people asking questions every few hours to see if I knew who and where I was. I slept thru my blood being drawn over and over too. In the morning I slept thru another cat scan. They determined my brain had stopped bleeding and I could go to a regular room.


I slept thru the whole day. My mom and Rick and Jen were there I guess entertaining themselves. And my mom was wonderful enough to spend the night with me. That was a more painful night. They were trying to take me off morphine and put me on oral pain meds. I threw up and my head was pounding. But by the next morning I was feeling much better. They said if I could walk around and take a shower I could go home.


I spent a night a Jen's house and have since been in my own bed. I am feeling better each day, but my memory is not up to par. It is a bit frustrating. I walk around feeling really dumb and like I can't create sentences. I am hoping that does not last forever! I forget how to do simple daily tasks. I have made Shepherds pie a million times, but I had to ask my mom what went in it while I was at the store.


I feel like a lucky girl tho. It could be a lot worse! I am recovering and looking forward to a new year. Happy Holidays to everyone!

9 comments:

Ang said...

I am just glad you are on the mend! What a scary couple of days, I don't think I have ever felt so far away. I love you and hope you keep feeling better more and more each day!

Sheryl said...

Yup, that's our little helmet girl. She has promised to NEVER get on a horse again without a helmet, and even considered making her wear one to do everyday tasks. I think a nice football helmet with a facemask.

Denise, which team do you prefer?

Nate said...

I'm glad you got to spend Christmas with the family. It's easy to forget what a dangerous sport riding horses is until something like this happens. Jo, Jen and your mom did a great job of keeping us up to date.

I remember when I got bucked off a horse my grandfather made me get right back on. So I hope you get down to the barn (with your helmet on) and get right back on because we don't want you to develop a FEAR of horses.

Matt-n-Jef said...

I am very glad that you are okay. reading Jen's blog that day, I was very worried for you.

~Cynthia~ said...

It was great to see you last night and see that you are on the mend, although it was obvious you still have healing to do so please be careful and take good care of yourself until you are 100% healed.

Jen said...

Denise, are you wearing your helmet now?

Jen said...

P.S. Those of you who like to watch House may find it amusing that Denise's neurologist is actually named Dr. House.

Denise said...

I am not wearing my helmet right now!!! I prefer the Colts mother!

Grandmajoann said...

I think it is quite amazing that you have gone this many years without an accident. I know you are very careful tho and I know that you will always wear a helmet. How do I know this? Because you said you would. And I believe you. I also love you and am glad you are healing. Don't worry about how long it takes you.....