Monday, October 13, 2008

The Show

Being on the Horse Show Committee does not build character....it only REVEALS it. I loved sitting on the board this year and I think it did good things for my business, but alas I have resigned. This show reminded me what I knew years ago. Our club does not want to promote growth, it's very clickish, you get used to get an idea out there and then no one backs you up, and everyone acts like children. So I made a decision that it was no longer for me. It pretty much ruined the last two days of my horse show.

But at any rate, Lauren won the Bill Adam's Memorial the first day. She got a giant trophy statue thing and some money. I rode my horse and had the second fastest time going into the jump off and then my horse stopped at a jump!!! I ended up seventh out of like 25. It was my fault. The horse is amazing and I am so lucky to have her. Megan had a rough start Saturday, but managed a fifth out of 15 in her first show doing a higher height. She rode awesome and I was so proud of her. I rode Lauren's horse in the Derby Saturday night, which Grandma Joann came to watch. There were 23 horses in it and I got called back in the top eight. I had a great second round and ended up sixth. Tori ended up second in her Classic which I sponsored and she got an embroidered saddle pad. I rode Megan's horse in the trainer cup and had a little trouble in our flat phase, but was still called back in third place. The jumping round was a nightmare! The horse was spooking at EVERYTHING! I barely made it around and came in seventh or something. The judge told Luann that she was mad my horse acted that way and she wanted me in the top, but the horse spooked and trotted in the middle of the course and she had no choice but to give me a low score for that.

So it was a mediocre weekend, but I am really proud of all my kids and it was a great year. I will post pictures when I can.

8 comments:

Nate said...

Thanks for the update Dee. It sounds like a very successful show and a very successful year. You deserve some R&R.

Don't forget to post some pictures of the show...and I'm sure sitting on that board showed you some things that you probably did not want to see..you have to admit that the "revealing character" saying, really does work in almost every situation!!!

Jen said...

The board sounds like a nightmare. I'm sure that it revealed some very unflattering character in at least a few people. It's too bad people can't move beyond their own agendas sometimes.

I agree with Nate, post some pictures of the show because I was too lazy to go see it!

Ang said...

Well if nothing else being on the board probably gave you a different perspective of things, for good or bad. I always come away from those experiences thinking, "when I rule the world it will be so much better!" Alas, if everyone wasn't so dang 'dupid.

Is show season officially over? Now what is on your agenda?

Sheryl said...

Well, it is probably nice to have show season wrapped up for another year. I'm sorry that the weekend ended on a down note. It will be fun to get on with next year and see what Chili can do after you have had a little more time with her.

All in all it seems like you had a very successful season! I'm glad so many good things have happened for you lately.

What are you going to do with your time now?

Julie said...

I was hoping to come with grandma but the bad weather and all kept me from coming. For sure I want to watch you next year so be sure to let us all know places and times! I'd love to see Tori as well, even though I'm sure she doesn't remember me.

Denise said...

What can I say about the board...you play with fire you get burned!!

Nate...the saying works every time lol.

I don't really get any down time. I just work Saturdays and will actually get Sundays off. That is the only difference. I do plan on going out to Erie and Vegas with JoLyn.

Grandmajoann said...

My darling Denise, I thought you were beautiful in your riding attire, and your posture was so good. Your jumps looked perfect to me. It was a thrill to see you ride again. I was impressed with the way everyone was supporting each other. If there were some feelings, I am sorry for that. I am sure you did the very best you could all year, and I can't imagine taking care of more than one horse. All that crap to scoop up, hay to lay down and the brusing, and cleaning of hoofs. What a gal. Good luck thru the winter. I love you.

Grandmajoann said...

Whoops, I meant brushing.