Sunday, October 19, 2008

Legacy Parkway

Let me just start with the rats that were swimming in the canal at my barn. I was teaching a lesson and we went on an 'adventure' out back by the canal. Suddenly the horses were frightened by a noise in the canal. There happened to be two fairly large wakes in the water. We could not see what it was, but I decided the canal was really 500 feet deep and Nessy was living in there. Well we got back to the arena and Tori said she saw two rats swimming in the canal! So I figure that must have been what we saw, but how disgusting?

So the girls and I have been utilizing the Legacy Parkway trail. The trail itself is not too scenic, but we are able to ride to Bountiful Pond which is kind of fun. I also want to make note that I drove the Legacy today and counted 10 roadkill from 5th South in Bountiful to Farmington. Yes, we built a road thru the wetlands.

Megan, Tori and Butch in the field by Bountiful Pond.

The girls on the 'trail'.


Nice view of the Bountiful Pond.

I figure the canal runs into Bountiful Pond and this was a large area by the Pond where something had bedded down......Nessy.



11 comments:

Jen said...

There used to be rats in the pond at Oakridge. When I first saw one I thought it was a beaver, then I saw its tail. They are HUGE!

Bountiful Pond is a scenic little place. I knew that there was a pond in Bountiful, but until Legacy opened I didn't know where it was.

Jessica said...

We call the pond Stinky Lake because it is by the landfill. We use to take Bradley fishing there when he was little. He loved it.

~Cynthia~ said...

Alyssa and I took Legacy Parkway to Julie's today. Although it was nice and quiet, that will probably be my last time taking that route since my newly washed car is now covered with squished bugs. I was totally disenchanted with the idea of having a new road to drive on. I rarely have squished bugs on my windshield and now it is covered in them.

We saw a pond along the way and there were lots of people there. I had no idea what it was and forgot to ask Julie as I had planned to do, but I guess it must have been Bountiful Pond. I had no idea there even was a Bountiful pond.

Sheryl said...

Well, you learn something new every day. I didn't know there was a pond out there either, but I bet it makes for a nice place to ride.

I am kind of grossed out by the rats! I don't think there is anything creepier than that. They are so nasty. I hope that is what is getting killed on the road.

Jessie, what kind of fish are in there?

Julie said...

This last Wed. I let Brent take my car to run an errand for me. The next morning I went out to my car and thought it was covered in mud, I got a wet rag and started cleaning the windshield and realized it was bugs! He took Legacy home...
The roadkill it supposed to be a good thing since in is mostly racoon's ho prey on bird eggs there at the preserve.
How fun to take you horses out on the trail, we have yet to see that on our bike rides.

Denise said...

Yes...it was ALL raccoons as roadkill. So I didn't feel too bad.

Ang said...

Looks like a nice little trail.

I am so glad to finally hear a Utahn actually admit that we destroyed some wetlands, thank you Denise! Well I guess in 5 years when there is a huge overpopulation of birds, and they are all crapping on your cars we might wish we had some of those coons back! On the bright side the birds will have eaten all the bugs, so atleast they won't be smashed on your windshields. Long live progress?

I do admit I am a little afraid of the racoons, I startled one on my run about a week ago and it made a horrible snarling nose at me and TRIED to climb a tree. I was a little sad for it because I don't think their fat little booties are meant to climb tree's!

Ang said...

I meant noise not nose!

Sheryl said...

If I got to choose between rats, racoons, or beavers, I would choose BEAVERS!

And, I think it is fun that all three animals were mentioned in this post!

Ang said...

Whoever doesn't love beavers is no friend of mine!!

Kellie said...

Hmm, still never been on Legacy, and from what I have heard I have no intention to! Legacy has cleared up I-15 so I'll just stick with that!