Sunday, January 11, 2009

Jesus Take the Wheel

Please play the song to the left while you read this post.

So I have yet again been involved in a crisis. I think I am a cat and I am exercising my right to nine lives. I was driving down Morgan canyon this morning after a light snow had fallen. The right lane was the only one plowed. I had just slowed down to make my way into the canyon when I could feel myself lose the back end of my truck. I started correcting, but after several corrections I started getting more out of control. I finally spun around and hit the snow embankment on the shoulder and my car flipped and started rolling. Just as I felt myself going in the air I let the steering wheel go and put my hands over my head. I kept thinking how will I survive this? It seemed so fast. But I remember I didn't feel much jarring or anything hitting the side of me. In fact it felt like I didn't move at all. Horror struck as my truck came to a stop upside down and the entire cab filled with snow. It was like an avalanche. At the same moment I went to take a breath but my airways were blocked by a wall of snow. I suddenly felt disoriented, but I knew I had to get out. I started clawing the snow from my face and grabbing to release my seat belt. I barely remember what seemed to be a very narrow opening out the passenger side. I started clawing as fast as I could through the snow. As I was doing this I could hear the engine still running. A second wave of panic went through as I thought about the truck igniting in flames. I crawled through the opening and got to my feet and started running up the hill. As I approached the top a couple hauling a semi had stopped and were out of the truck to greet me. There was a woman there who ran to me and immediately embraced me in her arms. I was hyper ventilating out of fear and started to sob. By that time more cars were pulling to the shoulder. Everyone was so helpful. They got me into their vehicles and kept me warm while we waited for highway patrol.

I felt right away that I was not hurt. The only thing that concerned me was loosening my recent head injury. The paramedics came and I took another ambulance ride into Ogden Regional Hospital. I was able to get a hold of my trauma team, Jolyn and Jen, who showed up shortly. After a series of cat scans and x-rays I was released.

Now it was time to go to the Tow Yard. I said to Jolyn that I felt like I would see the truck and think it wasn't so bad. To the contrary, when we arrived my stomach sank and I was moved to tears. The roof of the truck was almost all level with the hood of my truck. There was no room in the cab at all! The tow truck driver was amazed that I was up and walking. He said the entire cab was filled with snow from the embankment my truck ended up on. He sent pictures to our phones of the truck before it was put up right. He said the only thing that got me out of that truck alive and without injury was pure adrenaline.

The pictures don't do it much justice. Surprisingly the hood and tailgate were basically unharmed. But the sides of the truck were dented and scratched. There was not a window left in the truck. The back seat was still completely compact with snow. When we started digging through my items we realized the only thing holding the roof from collapsing to the seats was my center console that I had upright. Had it been folded down I would have been stuck on the driver side and unable to claw out of the snow embankment.

It seems so surreal. I almost feel like I have forgotten about it already. I am starting to feel some soreness, but I can't forget the feeling like someone or something was holding me so still in that car. I estimated it rolled about six times, but the people who witnessed thought it was more than that. You will see in the pictures that the vehicle is quite a ways from the road. I kept looking at the truck and thinking, "How am I alive? Why am I alive?" I am very humble and I feel so lucky to be alive. I literally walked away from the accident. Please wear your seat belts if you don't already! They have saved my life on more than one occasion now.













13 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG Denise!!! I am very thankful that you are Okay. I can't even imagine the fear of that kind of experience. I start to hyper-ventilate when I have a near miss with a car. I believe the Cynthia rolled her car years and years ago. Someone is definately looking out for you. Jesus take the wheel is one of my favorite songs. It almost brings me to tears when I play it.

Jen said...

Denise, wear your helmet!

Ang said...

ENOUGH!!!! As spongebob would say, "Squidward, you need bed rest!"

Seriously though those pictures were enough to scare me to death. My little heart can't take to many more of these near miss calls from your trauma team.

You truly are a lucky girl and I am so glad you were wearing your seatbelt. I love you and hope you get some good rest and aren't to sore in the morning. Love you and miss you!

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

Tilley/Booth said...

Denise,
I will always be here for you as lead trauma team. I know I did not show much emotion today, but you have no idea how grateful I am for you to still be with me today! The tears won't stop right now. I love you so much!

Tilley/Booth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie said...

Denise, I am so glad you are all right. The picutres are down right scary! I do believe we are always being watched over from the other side, who knows, mabey your dad was watching over you.
Love you.

Sheryl said...

We cannot take too many more of these kinds of phone calls. My heart left the building when Jen called Rick's number and said she had bad news. I think we all need to agree that we are done with accidents and hospitals. Richard says "DENISE!" Enough all ready. We are very relieved that the only thing broken is the truck. Please put on your helmet and stay in bed with Butchie until summer.

Love you!

P.S. Tell Sean thank you for being such a great room mate.

Nate said...

I can't believe how much worse the bigger pictures look on your post compared to the ones you sent me on my phone. I always wonder how I would react in a situation like that because I always seem to FREEZE like a deer in the headlights. It is so hard being this far away and knowing that there is nothing we can do for you.

When things like this happen it makes me miss those days when you lived with us, those days hauling hay, and those long days at the horse shows when you patiently taught Lexi how to ride.

You need to take care of yourself and stop giving me a heart attack on a weekly basis because I don't think Ang has yet learned how to SAVE me!!

WE MISS YOU AND LOVE YOU!!!!

Denise said...

Thank you everyone! And Nate I miss those good old days too :(. It is a hideous feeling wondering when you will stop and if you will still be alive when you stop.

~Cynthia~ said...

Goodness gracious girl! I hope you have reached your limits of trauma for your whole lifetime. I am so glad you are okay. I did indeed roll and total my boyfriend's car off the freeway in Layton, at about your same age. I too landed upside down in the snow and had to get myself out of the car and back up to the road. No one stopped to help me and I had to flag someone down. I remember that feeling of wondering when the car is going to stop. I mostly spun many times, seeing headlights coming right for my car, and then I think I only rolled once. It is hard to believe anyone can come out of such an accident totally okay, but I'm thankful we both did.

Grandmajoann said...

Oh how glad I am that you are alright. It is a terrible feeling huh! When Dick and I were in that terrible wreck 4 years ago, we said our goodbys to each other. We were just sure we would not live thru hitting a semi-truck. We were stunned when the car quit spinning and came to a stop. Dick said, are you okay? I said I think so, are you? We were in shock that we lived thru that. And I can't imagine going thru your experience, knowing you were the only one to get yourself out. Thank goodness there were cars going by to stop. How Thankful we all are that you are again, OKAY. Love you.

iMzOOL said...

denise--this is your cousin michelle. i got your blog from jen. i am sooo glad you are ok. holy crap--girl you need to be careful. i got on your blog to tell you i am glad you are ok from your horse accident, only to find out you had that car accident. i sure miss you and was hoping to see you, but time went too fast. i will for sure keep you in my prayers--you need it. :)

Steph Thompson said...

I don't know about Jesus taking the wheel.....Angie isn't the worlds greatest driver either (I am of course referring to the rock that you hit near the stop sign in Farmington, although perhaps they just forgot to post a falling rock sign!) I'm glad you ok gal! Lets not make this a habit of how to get new trucks!